Salinas, Monterey County
Monterey to San Francisco area, Central Coast region
Incorporated in 1874, Salinas' library history dates from 1873-74 with an unsuccessful effort to start a library through a joint stock company, one hundred shares for $25 each. The Odd Fellows started a library for members in 1889, and the WCTU and Native Daughters also established libraries. But there was no public library in 1903 when a new city charter was enacted; among its provisions was authorization for the City Council to create a library. In 1907, one of its first goals of newly formed Salinas Civic Club (later Salinas Women's Club) was to start a public library. They applied for Carnegie funding and received a $10,000 grant. The club located and paid for a site, raised over $4,000, and worked with other groups to bring all established libraries together for the public library. The building was designed in the Classical Revival style, by architect Jacob Lenzen of San Jose. The builder was Greene. The Salinas Carnegie opened November 4, 1909. It served as a library until 1960 and was demolished soon after.