Pomona, Los Angeles County
Los Angeles County area, Los Angeles County region
Pomona's first library began in 1887, a year after the city's incorporation. Women organized a combined public library and floral association, with some of the library funds coming from flower festivals. The club gave its library to the city in 1890. An early applicant for Carnegie funds, the city received a $15,000 grant in 1902 and the library was completed in 1903. The firm of Burnham and Bliesner designed the building in the Classical Revival style. An octagonal central delivery room and other plans of local architect C. E. Wolfe were incorporated into the plans at the request of the city. A rare later Carnegie award of $10,000 in 1913, provided an addition to the library. The building was demolished in 1966.