Lodi, San Joaquin County
San Joaquin Valley/North area, Central Valley region
Carnegie Forum/City Council Chambers
The temple style Classical Revival Lodi Carnegie is notable for the incorporation of brick in the formed columns, triangular area within the pediment, and finely detailed trim. The building has been doubled in size by an addition to the rear, and was recently completely renovated. Located on West Pine Street between North Lee and North Church streets and now known as the Carnegie Forum, the building is an integral part of the civic center, connected by walkways, an avenue of lamps, and fountain to the adjacent City Hall and municipal court buildings.
Lodi's first library, an 1885 subscription library, was destroyed by fire in 1887. The Lodi Library Association was formed in 1902 and became a free public library in 1904, its collection supplemented by the State Library traveling book program. An application for Carnegie funding brought $900 in 1907. A bequest helped meet the purchase of a lot. Architect Walter King designed the building. The building, enlarged in 1928, was outgrown again by the 1950's. When a new library was completed in 1979 the old Carnegie began its new civic role as "Carnegie Forum" and as City Council Chambers.