Upland, San Bernardino County
Inland Empire area, Inland Empire region
Andrew Carnegie Cultural Arts Building
Upland's oldest civic building, the Old Carnegie Library is adjacent to two other historic civic buildings and across the street from the landscaped city block occupied by the new library and city hall. The Classical Revival brick building is set back from the street at the northwest corner of D Street and First Avenue, and shaded by well established trees and shrubs. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1990.
Originally part of the Ontario Model Colony, Upland was "North Ontario" when its first library was started in 1900. Even after Upland incorporated in 1906, the library lacked a permanent home. Carnegie funding of $10,000 was granted in 1911. Los Angeles architect Homer Glidden designed the building. The contractor, John Gerry, constructed many buildings in Ontario and Upland and is considered important in the development of the community. Since the new library was completed, the old Carnegie has served as city detective bureau, and has been vacant. It is still owned by the city, and has been recently renovated for use as a community center.