Sebastopol, Sonoma County
North Bay Loop area, North Coast region
In Sebastopol there were numerous early social groups and at least one literary club by 1884, but no library or reading room. A grant of $7,500 from Carnegie was obtained in 1911, but the town had hoped to receive $10,000. This was the period of more stringent Carnegie funding and closer attention to simplicity of architectural style. The matter lapsed until 1914. In 1915, a proposed bond issue to finance a more impressive building received a negative response. In 1916 there was controversy about whether to remove an historic oak tree or Lincoln Hall, an early school and then a community center, to make room for the library; the tree was felled. Brainerd Jones scaled down his library plans to fit the $7,500 budget. The very simple Classical Revival structure was dedicated January 4, 1917 and served until 1976. A county library system had been established in Sonoma County and a new regional library was planned. The Carnegie building was demolished and the new library built on the same site.