Santa Monica/Ocean Park, Los Angeles County
Los Angeles area, Los Angeles County region
Ocean Park Branch Library
Santa Monica's Ocean Park Branch Carnegie is located at the corner of Main Street and Ocean Park Blvd. The Classical Revival building is small in scale, with a larger addition to the rear. In 1977 the city Landmarks Commission declared the Ocean Park Branch a Cultural Heritage Monument.
Santa Monica's library history dates from 1876 and its Carnegie funded Main Library was completed in 1904. That building was demolished in 1974. But by 1906 Ocean Park, in the southern area of Santa Monica, was developing into an area of vacation amusement activities with pier, bathhouses, golf course and race track, and a small book exchange branch was established there. In 1916 Carnegie granted $12,500 for an Ocean Park branch, which was designed by Frank Kegley. Its original entry, framed by engaged columns and an arched pediment and reached by a small double staircase, remains but is not used; it is replicated on a sign at the new entrance.