Santa Maria, Santa Barbara County
Central Coast area, Central Coast region
Santa Maria's library history begins with the Minerva Literary Club of 1902. The women's first library, located in a post office, was made available to all adults. The club incorporated in 1906 as the Minerva Library Club. Applications were made to Carnegie for funding and on January 8, 1908, an offer of $10,000 was received. The plans of F. P. Burnham, for a Classical Revival style building were accepted unanimously by the city council. Citizen donations supplemented city funds to purchase a lot for a library and park. The building was completed in 1909, and one board member landscaped the area and maintained it for a year until the city took over. The building served as a library until 1941 when a new library was built. The Santa Maria Carnegie served during the war as an USO, and then as a community youth center, until it was demolished in 1969.