Santa Ana, Orange County
Orange County area, Orange County region
Although Santa Ana incorporated in 1886, its library history began in 1878 with a subscription library and in 1886 with a WCTU library. These merged in 1887 and in 1891 the City of Santa Ana established a public library with the WCTU library as nucleus. These continuous and combined libraries occupied a total of five locations before Carnegie funding of $15,000 was obtained in 1902. A lot was donated by the city's founder, William Spurgeon. Architects Bither, Dennis and Farwell designed the Spanish Revival style building, which was completed in 1903, at a cost of $16,000. The builders were J.W. Blee and Chris McNeil. The library was considered a fitting complement to the "majestic courthouse" a block away. It was demolished in 1960.