San Leandro, Alameda County
East Bay Loop area, San Francisco Bay Area region
In San Leandro the Good Templars waged their war against saloons and liquor by establishing public reading rooms as early as 1867. It was through the 1906 effort of the Board of Library Trustees that a public library was established in rented quarters; the following year a $12,000 Carnegie grant was promised. Citizens donated a site and raised additional funds; the San Leandro Board of Trade raised $3,000 by subscription to pay for furnishings. Architect William Weeks designed the building in the Classical Revival style. The builder was Ernest Anderson. The library was dedicated May 14, 1909 and it served until approximately 1959, when it was demolished.