Chula Vista
courtesy of Chula Vista Public Library

Chula Vista, San Diego County

San Diego to Imperial Valley area, San Diego County region

opened 1917
Public library from 1917-1955
demolished, 1960

grant amount: $10,000
architectural style: Mission/Spanish Colonial Revival
architect: Theodore Kistner


Chula Vista's first library, an 1891 reading room formed by volunteers, was located in a building donated by the San Diego Land & Town Company. When Chula Vista incorporated in 1911 the city took over the library at the volunteers' request. A $10,000 Carnegie grant was received in 1916. Theodore Kistner who later designed the East San Diego Carnegie was the architect and L.E.C. Smith of National City was the contractor. Classical Revival and Mission Revival styles were combined, with Mission prevailing. An additional $1500 from the city and more than $300 in gifts helped meet the total cost. After construction of a new library in 1955 the Carnegie remained vacant until it was destroyed in 1960.


Sort listings by...  City |  Area |  Region |  Style |  Architect |  Use

Home  |   About  |   History  |   Styles  |   Listings  |   Resources
Contact Information

© Copyright 1999. All rights reserved.