St. Helena, Napa County
North Bay Loop area, North Coast region
St. Helena Community Center
1360 Oak Avenue
St. Helena, CA 94574
Public library from 1908-1978
currently a community center
grant amount: $7,500
architectural style: Mission/Spanish Colonial Revival
architect: W. M. Corlett, W. W. Wilson
St. Helena's Carnegie library is one of relatively few surviving examples of the Mission style, characterized by asymmetry, curvilinear gable ends and gablets, end arches, and a tile roof. It is located at the corner of Oak Avenue and Adams Street in a residential area just a block west of downtown and Highways 29 and 128 along the west side of the Napa Valley. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.
The St. Helena library dates from an 1892 city library, itself preceded by the St. Helena Library Association and Free Reading Room. It had been located in a variety of sites before Carnegie funding of $7500 was granted in 1906. In 1908 Carnegie provided an additional $862, one of the few examples when Carnegie contributed supplemental funds to meet added expenses. William Corlett of Napa designed the building; W.W. Wilson and Hoyt Bros are also mentioned and may have both been the builders. Well maintained and landscaped by the city, with sidewalk and property line setbacks which permit its Mission detailing to be clearly visible from all sides, it now fulfills numerous functions as a community center.