Covina
courtesy of the Covina Public Library

Covina, Los Angeles County

Los Angeles County area, Los Angeles County region

opened 1905
Public library from 1905-1962
demolished, 1962

grant amount: $9,000
architectural style: Classical Revival (Type B)
architect: F. P. Burnham


South Pasadena   
courtesy of the Covina Public Library   

Covina's first library was a membership Reading Room and Library Association organized in 1897, and operating continuously until the library was brought under city jurisdiction in 1903. Carnegie funding was requested, and $6,000 was first offered but the amount was increased to $8,000 in April 1905. A site was donated. Architect F. P. Burnham, alone and as Burnham & Bliesner, had already completed three Carnegies by that time, and was to design several more. The Covina Public Library was an example of the Classical Revival style of architecture. The Contractor was W.T. Little. Before the building opened in December of the same year, another $1,000 was added for furnishings, and the building was dedicated December 4, 1905 with a public reception and book shower. Again the city faced great growth in the 1950's, and some alterations were made in the late 1950's including rearranging the basement to provide a children's room, work room, staff room, and storage. After much discussion, however, it was decided not to try to add on to the building. The new library was built on the same site, and a copy of a painting of the old building is displayed in the new library.


Sort listings by...  City |  Area |  Region |  Style |  Architect |  Use

Home  |   About  |   History  |   Styles  |   Listings  |   Resources
Contact Information

© Copyright 1999. All rights reserved.