Claremont/Pomona College, Los Angeles County
Los Angeles area, Los Angeles County region
Claremont, CA 91711
Academic library 1908-1953
currently a private academic building
grant amount: $40,000
architectural style: Classical Revival (Type B)
architect: F. P. Burnham
Two campus landmarks, the old Carnegie Library and "Big Bridges" auditorium, have long faced each other across the Pomona College quadrangle. The Classical Revival temple style Carnegie appeared relatively unchanged during 1946, 1953 and 1968 renovations, but the spacious interior and detailing were compromised by the need for more space. A 1999 renovation has returned much of its interior grandeur and enhanced its imposing exterior.
Carnegie funded only two academic libraries in California; the other is at Mills College. Terms of the 1905 grant were somewhat different than those for public libraries. The college was offered $40,000 on condition that it raise $40,000 in new endowment to provide for maintenance. The town of Claremont donated the land and in return the library served both students and townspeople until 1914 when a branch of the Los Angeles County Library opened in Claremont. The Library was designed by Franklin P. Burnham using reinforced concrete and was built by Edwin Squire. In 1952 a new library was constructed to serve all of the Claremont Colleges and the old library, known as the Carnegie Building since 1953, has housed social sciences offices and classrooms.