| courtesy of Colton Museum Carnegie Public Library Building
Colton, San Bernardino County
Inland Empire area, Inland Empire region
380 North LaCadena Drive
Colton, CA 92324
Colton Public Library 1908-1982
currently a museum
grant amount: $10,000
architectural style: Classical Revival (Type B)
architect: F. P. Burnham
The Carnegie building is the only example of public architecture of its period remaining in Colton. The temple style Classical Revival building, with pediment and columns, is sited in a parklike setting near other civic buildings in a generally commercial area.Its two fireplaces and skylight above central rotunda are indicative of its early period; guidelines issued soon after its construction encouraged more austere buildings.
The fast growing railroad town of Colton had not established a public library prior to its 1906 application for Carnegie funding, although it had been advocated by the Colton Women's Club as early as 1902. When $10,000 was approved, the City Council promptly appointed a library board of trustees. The building, one of eight Carnegies designed by architect Franklin P. Burnham and built by Kaiser and Loomis, served as both library and community center. After a new library was constructed in 1982, the Carnegie was carefully restored for its present function as a museum. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1988.