Watsonville
courtesy of Pajaro Valley Historical Association

Watsonville, Santa Cruz County

Monterey to San Francisco area, Central Coast region

opened 1905
Public library from 1905-1975
demolished, 1975

grant amount: $12,000
architectural style: Classical Revival (Type A)
architect: W. H. Weeks


Watsonville had grown in population from 398 in 1860 to 2,252 in 1870; meanwhile the first Library Association was formed in 1862 and the town incorporated in 1868. Other libraries followed; 1871 Pajaro Valley Benevolent Association, 1873 Odd Fellows, 1881 WCTU. None, however, achieved a permanent location nor did the city provide one when in 1896 it united all the collections. Carnegie funding of $10,000 was promised in April, 1903, and was increased to $12,000 in 1904. The sum of $2,000 was raised from citizens for the purchase of a lot. The architect, William H. Weeks of Watsonville, designed the building in the Classical Revival style. Granite Rock Company bid $11,290 to construct the building. The cornerstone was laid on February 11, 1905, and the building was completed October 12, 1905. The building was demolished in 1975.


Sort listings by...  City |  Area |  Region |  Style |  Architect |  Use

Home  |   About  |   History  |   Styles  |   Listings  |   Resources
Contact Information

© Copyright 1999. All rights reserved.