Oxnard

Oxnard, Ventura County

Central Coast area, Central Coast region

Carnegie Art Museum
424 South C Street
Oxnard, CA 93030

opened 1907
Oxnard Carnegie Public Library 1907-1963
currently a museum

grant amount: $12,000
architectural style: Classical Revival (Type B)
architect: F. P. Burnham


With its wide central pedimented porticos, each supported by six Doric columns, the Oxnard Carnegie gives the impression of a massive temple on a hill. However, it is in fact a small white building, whose appearance is further enhanced by its tree-shaded adjacent park. It has been designated Ventura County landmark No 13 and in 1971 was placed on the National Register of Historic Places, the first California Carnegie to be so recognized.

The Carnegie was the first library in the new city of Oxnard, and was built with a 1906 Carnegie grant of $12,000. An additional $5,500 was raised by prominent citizens to cover excess costs, as well as the lot at Fifth and C streets. Well known Los Angeles architect F.P. Burnham designed the building, constructed by T.H. Carroll. It was enlarged in 1923. After a new library was constructed in 1963; the Carnegie was used by the Chamber of Commerce, Visitors Bureau and Art Club. In 1978 it was renovated and reopened in 1980 as the Carnegie Cultural Arts Center, now the Carnegie Art Museum.


Sort listings by...  City |  Area |  Region |  Style |  Architect |  Use

Home  |   About  |   History  |   Styles  |   Listings  |   Resources
Contact Information

© Copyright 1999. All rights reserved.