Orland, Glenn County
Sacramento Valley area, Central Valley region
Carnegie Community Center
Library Park, a full city block between Third and Fourth streets, Yolo and Mill streets, formerly the site of the Papst Flour Mill and now surrounded by residences, provided the setting for the Orland Carnegie library. Essentially Classic in style, the small building is surrounded by tall trees, including Cedar of Lebanon, redwood, elm and magnolia. In 1971 a larger library was built, immediately adjacent in Library Park. The Carnegie building now hosts City Council meetings in addition to community gatherings.
The Orland Women's Improvement Club, founded in 1909, established a reading room as one of its first projects. After moving their library twice, the group raised money, purchased three lots, and donated them to the city. Two years later the city purchased the remainder of the block for a park and civic center. An application for Carnegie funding brought an offer of $8000 in 1913; after extended efforts to obtain a larger sum, it was accepted in 1918. Meanwhile the city's first Work Day had cleared and leveled the park. W.H. Weeks designed the building; Hazleton Lumber Company and O.M. Bullock were the builders. A "book shower" marked the library's opening. After completion of the new library, kitchen and handicapped access were provided in the old; it was further renovated in 1984 and 1985 with a California Historic Preservation Grant and local funding.