Monterey, Monterey County
Monterey to San Francisco area, Central Coast region
Barnet J. Segal Building
Near the Larkin House and other historic buildings, north of the Monterey Aquarium, Cannery Row and the pier, the Old Monterey Carnegie library building is now part of the Monterey Institute of International Studies. Located on the east side of Van Buren Street between Jefferson and Franklin streets, it is now used for offices. The small, low building in Mission Revival style, retains its original appearance as distinct from additions adjacent and to the rear.
The Monterey Library Association, organized in 1849, is generally believed to be California's first public library; Colton Hall was just one of its many locations. A 1901 library organized under the same name by a group of Monterey women led more directly to a publicly funded library. A Carnegie grant of $10,000 was received in 1907. The library was designed by William H. Weeks and was, with the exception of an addition to the Woodland library, his only Mission style library. Additions were made in 1919 and 1951. After the library moved to larger quarters, it was sold to a church and then to the Monterey Institute of Foreign Studies, now International Studies. The building has been remodeled several times including an additional 6000 square feet in 1989. The Institute's new library, connected to the Carnegie building, is also called the Barnet J. Segal Building.