Lakeport, Lake County
North Bay Loop area, North Coast region
Lakeport Carnegie Library Building
Perhaps the most scenically located California Carnegie is Lakeport's, in a city park on the shores of Clear Lake. It is also close to the downtown, City Hall and the County Courthouse. The austere Classical two story building is surrounded by palms and other trees and an avenue of tall sycamores leads to a pier extending into the lake.
After several attempts by the Ladies' Improvement Club and others, Lakeport received an $8000 Carnegie grant in 1914. Meanwhile the Napa & Lakeport Railroad and Yolo Water and Power Company were planning to dredge the lake and dredging would provide a lakeside park site. Negotiations stalled and Carnegie representatives were hesitant about a site where there could be no basement, but eventually plans were approved. Ward and Blohme designed the library which opened in 1918. Builders are variously shown as Hinds and Randolph and Randolf and Hines. By 1985 the library was outgrown, the collection moved to a new library, and the Carnegie was vacant except for occasional use. Following its recent rehabilitation by the city, it is now occupied by scientists from the University of California, Davis, conducting research on Clear Lake.