Los Angeles/Vernon, Los Angeles County
Los Angeles County area, Los Angeles County region
The Vernon branch, completed in 1915, was one of six Los Angeles branch libraries constructed between 1913 and 1916 with a $210,000 Carnegie grant obtained in 1911 specifically for the construction of branch libraries. All but one included a basement assembly room and an outdoor reading area. The architects Kysor and Biggar designed the building in the Classical Revival style. The Vernon open air reading room could be converted into a closed room by means of a sliding sash. The Vernon branch dates to a 1901 library delivery station maintained by citizens of the neighborhood. The building was demolished in 1974.