Los Angeles/Vermont Square, Los Angeles County
Los Angeles area, Los Angeles County region
Vermont Square Branch Library
Six Los Angeles branch libraries were constructed between 1913 and 1916 with a $210,000 Carnegie grant obtained January 31, 1911, specifically for the construction of branches. Three remain; the Arroyo Seco Branch was demolished in 1959, the Boyle Heights Branch (later known as the Franklin Branch) and Vernon Branch were demolished in 1974. The remaining three were listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1987, along with other Los Angeles branch libraries. All have recently been seismically retrofitted and renovated to accommodate modern library technology and disability access.
The Vermont Square Branch is the only occupant of Vermont Square, a tree shaded park occupying a full city block at Budlong Street between 47th and 48th streets, just southwest of the intersection of Vermont Avenue and Vernon Avenue south of the USC campus, in a neighborhood of small bungalows. The Italian Renaissance building was designed by architects Hunt and Burns. It is the only one of the three remaining Carnegie branches to be damaged in the 1994 Northridge earthquake.