Los Angeles/Cahuenga, Los Angeles County
Los Angeles area, Los Angeles County region
Cahuenga Branch Library
Six Los Angeles branch libraries were constructed between 1913 and 1916 with a $210,000 Carnegie grant obtained January 31, 1911, specifically for the construction of branches. Three remain; the Arroyo Seco Branch was demolished in 1959, the Boyle Heights Branch (later known as the Franklin Branch) and Vernon Branch were demolished in 1974. The remaining three were listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1987, along with other Los Angeles branch libraries. All have recently been seismically retrofitted and renovated to accommodate modern library technology and disability access.
The Cahuenga Branch was the last and smallest of the six and is located near the eastern end of Santa Monica Blvd., near the intersection of Santa Monica Blvd. and Vermont Avenue. When built it was intended to serve a community of workers in the then nearby orange and avocado groves and wheat fields. Today the fairly small Italian Renaissance building stands out in its busy commercial district. Designed by architect C.H. Russell, the library also provided a basement clubroom and auditorium.