Huntington Beach, Orange County
Orange County area, Orange County region
Free library service in Huntington Beach was available in 1907, through the state's traveling library program, which rotated 50 books to rural communities. In 1909 the city incorporated and that same year Mr. R. W. Blodget and Mrs. R. H. Lindgren brought the matter of a library to the Huntington Beach Board of Trade. The Women's Club of Huntington Beach then called a public meeting and formed a Library Association. They refurbished an old building, acquired old furniture and books, and provided necessary heat and utilities. By the end of the year the city took over the library. Carnegie funding was sought and in late 1913 a $10,000 grant was offered. Architects Tuttle and Hopkins designed the Classical Revival building. The builder was W.D. Lambert of Long Beach. The building opened in 1914, serving the community as a library until a new building was completed in 1951, after which the Carnegie building was demolished.