Hollywood, Los Angeles County
Los Angeles County area, Los Angeles region
The Women's Club of Hollywood started Hollywood's first library, and they requested Carnegie funding in February 1906, the same month they opened the library in rented rooms. They maintained the library until July 1, 1906, when the city assumed responsibility. Carnegie funding of $10,000 was offered but the request for an additional $5,000 based on expected population growth was rejected; expenses mounted to $14,500 but no additional Carnegie funds were forthcoming. It was one of only two representatives of the Tudor style, the other being the Tudor Alden Branch (now Temescal) of the Oakland Public Library. Architects Marsh and Russell also designed Carnegies for Santa Monica and South Pasadena and Norman Marsh designed the Azusa Carnegie. The builder was Olaf Johnson. In 1910 when Hollywood was annexed to Los Angeles, it became a branch library; in 1922 it was moved from its original location on Hollywood Blvd., to a site at Gardner Street and renamed the West Hollywood Branch. At that time, the building was remodeled and an auditorium was added. Architects Dodd and Richards, maintained the Tudor style in designing the addition. The building was demolished in 1958.