Hollister, San Benito County
Monterey to San Francisco area, Central Coast region
Hollister City Hall
The low, one story Hollister Carnegie building, Classical in style, is constructed of concrete scored to resemble granite block. This contributes a sense of stability in an area where earthquakes are not rare. Set far back from the street and at some distance from adjacent buildings, its site on Fifth Street between San Benito and Monterey streets is part of downtown Hollister's designated National Historic District. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1992.
Hollister's library history is long but intermittent, dating from an 1874 Hollister Library Association. Subsequent efforts for a Mechanics Library and a WCTU reading room resulted in collections that were the core of the eventual city library. In 1910 a Carnegie grant of $10,000 was received. William Binder of San Jose, designed the building; the builder was E.J. Sparling. The building served as a library until 1959, after which it was used by the Superior Court and Probation Department. It now serves as City Hall, with a large extension for council chambers added to the rear.