Ferndale, Humboldt County
North Coast/Redwoods area, North Coast region
Ferndale Public Library
In Ferndale, noted for its many large and small Victorian residences and commercial buildings, the 1910 Carnegie Library is one of only two examples of Classical Revival architecture.
The dairy and farming community in the Eel River delta was settled in 1852 on the banks of the small Salt River from which steamships took its products to the Eel River, then to the ocean and to San Francisco. Relatively isolated until construction of the Fernbridge over the Eel in 1911, residents had started their own library by 1880. With a 1900 population of just 846, they applied for a Carnegie funding and in 1908 an $8000 grant was received. Warren Skellings designed the new library which was constructed by Ackerman and Ackerman of Eureka. In 1977 the small 40'x40' building was enlarged with an addition to the rear and a loft but the original wooden furnishings have been retained. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1990.