Escondido, San Diego County
San Deigo to Imperial Valley area, San Diego County region
The early library building cherished by citizens of Escondido is the one that preceded their Carnegie. The Escondido public library dates from an 1890 library association. Women helped raise funds and the first building dates from 1894 when "a group of book lovers had a raising to build our first library." It was turned over to the city in 1898, and served until the opening of the Carnegie Library in October, 1910. Thereafter the early library, apparently then in private ownership, became a residence, dental and medical offices, and then finally public property. On May 20, 1971 it was moved to historic Grape Day Park, restored by volunteer labor, and today serves as headquarters for the Escondido Historical Society. The Carnegie building was funded with a $7,500 grant received in 1908. The Classical Revival style building was designed by the architectural firm of Van Trees and Millar Inc. of Los Angeles. It was one of the few to display the name "Carnegie Library." It was demolished in 1956.