San Jose/East San Jose, Santa Clara County
Monterey to San Francisco area, San Francisco Bay Area region
San Jose/East San Jose Carnegie Library
The San Jose/East San Jose Carnegie Library is one of the few tangible reminders of the existence, between 1906 and 1911, of the City of San Jose/East San Jose. Incorporation, prompted by prohibitionist sentiment, won by just two votes and was defeated handily five years later. In the meantime, however, the new community applied for and received a $7000 Carnegie grant. Prominent San Jose architect Jacob Lenzen designed the small, temple style Classical building which is constructed of plaster with wood columns and trim. The builder was M.D. Green.
The oldest public library in service in Santa Clara County, it is located at the corner of east Santa Clara and 23rd streets. Over the years, San Jose/East San Jose has become home to a succession of populations from early Portuguese dairymen, an African American population of long standing, and more recently Hispanic and Southeast Asian arrivals. This diversity is reflected in the library's community oriented collection. In 1974, faced with the loss of their small library, the neighborhood rallied and the library was saved, renovated, and expanded. It has been designated a San Jose City Historical Building and in 1990 it was added to the National Register of Historic Places.