Eagle Rock, Los Angeles County
Los Angeles area, Los Angeles County region
Old Eagle Rock Library Building
The Eagle Rock Carnegie Library was built in 1914. The Mission/Spanish Colonial Revival structure, with its enclosed arcade is located on a steeply sloping site at the northeast corner of Colorado Blvd. and Rockland Avenue in the foothills of the San Gabriel mountains north of Los Angeles, in the area of Occidental College and Griffith Park observatory.
The original building, designed by W.E. Kleinpell, was constructed with a $7500 Carnegie grant and opened in 1915. In 1923 Eagle Rock was annexed by Los Angeles. Newton and Murray were architects for its extensive remodeling in 1927, almost a total rebuilding on the old foundations. When a new library was constructed in 1981, the Carnegie was transferred to the Department of General Services whose plans to renovate it as a community center were long delayed by additional seismic safety standards. The building is now the Eagle Rock Community Cultural Center, run by a partnership between the City of Los Angeles Cultural Affairs Department and the Eagle Rock Community Cultural Association.