Dixon, Solano County
San Francisco Bay/Delta/Sacramento area, Central Valley region
Dixon Public Library
The Dixon Carnegie library faces on B Street just east of the intersection of B and First streets; however the main library entrance is now through its new addition which faces on First, connected to the Carnegie in an L-shaped configuration but visually separated from it by a commercial building at the corner. The Carnegie wing, combining Classical and Mission elements, continues to serve as a reading room, with the words "Carnegie Library" over the old entrance.
Dixon is one of only three California Carnegie communities to obtain a library as a high school district rather than city or county, under 1911 state legislation enabling a wider taxing area to support a library. Previously known as Dicksonville, Dixon had a 1910 population of just 827 but secured a 1911 Carnegie grant of $10,000 using the school district population. The Dixon Reading Club and a free reading room had been short lived, and in 1906 the city took steps to establish a municipal library, but the school district plan plus the efforts of the Women's Improvement Club were decisive. The president of the club donated the lots. Architects Parker and Kenyon designed the building; contractors Charles J. Rose, and Brady and Fisher are both mentioned. The library is still organized as the Dixon Unified School District Library District but is known as the Dixon Public Library. The Carnegie building itself was acknowledged as historically significant by the city council in 1988, and plaques at the old entrance commemorate its original benefactors and its 1992 rededication as the Dixon Carnegie Library.