Dinuba, Tulare County
San Joaquin Valley/South area, Central Valley region
Tulare County was among the eight counties to establish county libraries in the first year of their organization under 1909 legislation. The supervisor from Dinuba had been one of the first and strongest advocates of the county library system, with the support of the Dinuba Women's Club. Incorporated in 1906 and with a 1910 population of 970, Dinuba had no previous library and became the site of Tulare County Free Library's first branch, established September 20, 1910. The library had several locations including a furniture store, a commercial building, and the Chamber of Commerce, before Carnegie funding of $8,000 was obtained through the County in March 1915. The city contributed the lot, Bowen and Davis were the architects, and the contract was awarded to Ben Brown for $7,921. The Dinuba Branch Library was an example of the Classical Revival with Mission elements. On July 22, 1916 the Chamber of Commerce building burned and all its contents were lost. The Carnegie building was informally opened four days later, and was dedicated October 5, 1916. It was demolished in 1975.