Clovis, Fresno County
San Joaquin Valley/South area, Central Valley region
Clovis Chamber Community Hall
In the area of Clovis designated as "Old Town" are found municipal and county buildings, a museum, and the Clovis Rodeo. Nearby, in the center of a block of mixed residential and commercial buildings on the east side of Pollasky between Third and Fourth streets, the old Carnegie library at first appears to be one of the residences. Much altered from its original simple classical design with some Spanish elements, it serves as Chamber of Commerce offices and community hall. It was designated Fresno County Historical Landmark #157 in October 1986.
The Clovis library dates from a 1908 Sunday School League meeting which led to the organization of a Public Library Association; it became a municipal library in 1910 and a Fresno County branch in 1912. A $7000 Carnegie grant was received in 1914 and Glass and Butner designed the building. After a new branch library was built in the civic center in 1976, and an unsuccessful restoration attempt by the Clovis Historical Society in 1979, the Carnegie was threatened with demolition. In 1985 a major community effort led by the Chamber of Commerce with significant city participation resulted in its extensive remodeling and change in style; original floors and interior trim remain.